Friday, May 27, 2011

What I Wouldn't Do . . .


Since we've been pet sitting - again- for the past two weeks, and I've been out of school, and hubs's car is on the fritz, he's been using my car, and I've been staying home, entertaining myself with computer games, Facebook, and Netflix. This morning I got up, started up my game, and checked my e-mail and Google Reader, as usual. I then picked out a movie I might enjoy, and started that up, as well. That's when my computer died.

You see, my computer is over two years old, so the battery is pretty much useless. If my laptop comes unplugged, the laptop dies. It's REALLY easy to unplug the laptop, especially since the charging port is malfunctioning so the cord has to be positioned *just* right. After a few minutes of muttering and waiting for my laptop to load up - I was happy to find I managed to get my headphones working - I realized that for some reason, my dear lappy wasn't connecting to the internet the way it should automatically. I figured I could go in and do it manually. But no. For some reason, the network was not being detected.

I fiddled with it for awhile, and then realizing this might be a Code Red, called hubby, who works IT. No answer. I tried locating the WiFi hub, to no avail. Another call to hubby, plus a text, and I was all but frantic. What was I going to do for six hours without the internet?!!!??

I consoled myself with the fact that my Nook was still working, and therefore I was not completely bereft of entertainment, but I really wanted my internet back. I remembered, then, that they have their DVD player hooked up to the internet to access Netflix (I know this will be hard to understand, but I prefer watching Netflix on my laptop). I dragged a TV dinner table over next to the TV, and plugged my laptop into the internet old-school style. It worked, of course. But what to use as a chair? I tried an actual computer chair, but I'm very short and it was way too high, and I am too light to push it down, so that idea was out. I then decided that I could drag an old 70's upholstered rocking chair over to my laptop (seriously, this thing could go for a pretty penny on Ebay). After much muscling of a chair that weighs about half of one of me, I settled in, happy as a clam.

I love you, Internet.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I love the internet too, and I would have been just as frazzled!