Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What's On My Shelf



I recently completed the book The Mercy Seller, by Brenda Rickman Vantrease. Some may recall this author from her previous book, The Illuminator, which I have yet to read. The Mercy Seller follows the lives of two main characters, Anna and Brother Gabriel, during the uprising of the Lollard cause. Anna, who believes that man needs no mediator to God and that all should be able to read the Bible in their own language, instead of the Latin that the Church decrees by law, goes through unimaginable hardships because of her faith. In fact, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to put the book down because it was so sad, or continue reading because her character, strength, faith and wisdom was so inspiring. Brother Gabriel, who is given the job of finding those guilty of heresy and supporters of the Lollard cause, comes into contact with Anna, thus setting an entirely different path for himself than he ever could have forseen, and going through a few trials of his own.
In the end, I finished the book. If you happen to pick the book up yourself, you should do the same.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I don't think I'll be picking up this book, it's just not for me. But I loved the review!!