Sunday, February 8, 2009

Chick Lit Faze



So the second book that I've read so far, is Confessions of a Shopaholic, by Sophie Kinsella. If I read one book of a certain genre, it usually gets me started on that particular genre, so much so that I stay on it for a while. Now, I know that it has been a week since I actually updated my blog, but it's not because it has taken a long time to read this book. I have another book that I am also almost finished with, and it is decidedly heftier. When I finish that one (almost there!), I will definitely update with that one as well.
Anyway, back to the first book mentioned. I had high hopes for this particular book, mainly because Sophie Kinsella happens to be one of my favorite chick lit authors. But the character in this book was annoyingly naive and matierialistic. I understood all of the parts of describing her anxiety, and her need for distraction, which she finds through shopping, but when the bills start to pile up and she does nothing to stop the cycle, I slowly became frustrated. My opinion of the main character dropped even lower when she discovered that her best friend and flatmate's cousin is the fifteenth richest bachelor in Britain. During the first part of meeting the cousin, the main character describes him as annoying and creepy, yet when she discovers that he is rich, she begins to plan how they'll fall madly in love, and . . . just ugh. The ending redeems the novel somewhat, but all in all, not one of my favorites.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I agree. Even though I didn't finish it, because the character is so annoying to me! She reminds me of the character in Queen of Babble, and I can't bring myself to read any further. I don't even know if I want to see the movie. Just blah.