Monday, March 21, 2011

Not a Geek for Math

I admit, I am a geek, but I'm a literary geek. I love books, words, sentences, even syntax! I love languages and cultures. I love games. I HATE math. However, I am a research assistant for a math professor at my local university, and she has shelves and shelves of books. And every time I go into work, I peruse them while she thinks of things for me to do, or gets things ready for whatever project she ne
eds me to do. And while I peruse them, I think, "Some of these look really cool." And then I remember - they're abut *math*. Here are a few that have tempted me to put up with numbers long enough to get through a good book. . .

History of Pi -Petr Beckmann



Nature's Numbers - Ian Stewart




Alice in Quantumland -Robert Gilmore










Seven Life Lessons of Chaos - John Briggs, F. David Peat
I admit it here and now: I'm basing my judgments of these books on their covers. So sue me; I'm only human!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Booooring!!! (the books, not your blog) I hate math too :)