Thursday, April 23, 2009

Longest. Day. Ever.

Well, yesterday was another shift at work that, on paper, sounds short and sweet, but in reality made me want to poke someone with the scissors, or possibly scream. The worst thing about today's shift was that I slammed my knee into my desk and wanted to cry out at the sheer pain such an impact invoked, but alas, I could not, because there were people testing, and they tend to frown at Lab Assistants disrupting their concentration by screaming in pain. But I would have gladly slammed my knee into the desk again, if it meant that yesterday could have been erased. In order to keep the sanity that yesterday threatened, I ventured again into my own little world of inquiry and speculation, and these are the thoughts that occurred.

  • Are those denim?? A customer walks in wearing what looked to be a pair of jeans because of their stitching and style, but they were so stretchy, and the girl who wore them filled them to their stretchiest point, that I found a hard time picturing them as an actual pair of jeans.
  • At some point, I realized that I had a small patch of hair that was an inch long hanging in front of my very eyes. I kept trying to brush it to either side, but on further investigation, I discovered that they were actually part of my bangs. After a moments consideration, I grabbed above-mentioned scissors, and cut the offending strands relatively level with the rest of my bangs. The *snip* sound was really unsettling, though, since I was pretty sure I could easily screw my hair up.
  • Aviators are so. In. I counted at least four people coming in with aviator sunglasses, including a college student that reeked of rich parents, sporting a white pair that I'm sure are very fashionable. For women, metros, and gays. They looked very expensive. Also, why were people wearing sunglasses inside? It was starting to annoy.
  • How do haikus go again? Oh yes, five syllables in the first line; seven syllables in the next, and five in the last. Yeah - I totally earned that A in College Lit. Also, now I'm thinking on iambic pentameter. . . Anywho, here's an example of a haiku - Stuck at desk all day, nothing to amuse me but, stupid screen savers. Thanks to Haiku-o-Matic for that oh-so-appropriate poem!
And so my day went. Slowly. thank goodness for my OwnLittleWorld (tm).

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I have days like that... and being at the places of business where my clients work and I'm there for two. freaking. hours. does attract my attention to all the strange and annoying customers coming in to pass the time. Hopefully today goes by so much faster for you sister!