Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Oversimplifimacation




I've noticed a couple of things being marketed as "simpler" than their predecessors, and I'm beginning to wonder if it is a foreshadowing of things to be in 2010. I speak mainly of two things: the new Google Chrome browser and Windows 7.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for an easier interface, something that will make technology available for all, but for me personally, in the case of tech, simplified is BORING. Take Google Chrome. I have several friends that enjoy it, because it's "like Firefox, only simpler." I like Firefox; the features are great, the add-ons are fun, and it gets the job done. Sure, simpler might sound appealing, but when something is done away with because it makes something more complicated, it's harder to do what you need or want. Sometimes, I've even noticed, a specific feature is changed to make it "simpler," and yet I'm pounding the keyboard in frustration because it *isn't* simple. I'm not exactly a computer hacker genius, but I am not computer illiterate, either, so when I say it's not simple, I feel like other people might agree.
And what's the deal with Windows 7? I haven't heard much yet, except glowing reviews from people that haven't had it for long, or from the product promoters themselves. Any word on whether or not it really does put Vista to shame? I checked it out at a local Best Buy, and really, all the pluses they were promoting didn't seem to make it worth my while. I may just wait it out and see if there isn't something else coming along that doesn't just make things "simple" but usable as well.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

We have windows 7 but I can't really tell you much difference... I use the computer for the internet only. They have added sticky notes though... just like the macs have.